Re: VACUUM and index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: VACUUM and index
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jul 19, 2006 at 03:03:43PM +0200, DANTE Alexandra wrote:
> Imagine you have a database on which a lot of transactions are done
> daily : the tables will contain a lot of dead tuples and the B-tree
> index too.
>
> If I do a VACUUM on this database, will the B-tree index be scanned,
> space reclaimed and made available for re-use ?

Old versions didn't, but recent versions do.

> Does this action only do by a VACUUM FULL ?

Also by VACUUM FULL, but plain VACIIM is enough.

> Or is it necessary to do a REINDEX on the index to retrieve a
> well-balanced tree ?

There are always corner case situations. In older versions a REINDEX
helped balance the tree but recent versions are much better.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment