Re: US Telephone Number Type - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: US Telephone Number Type
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 01:27:49AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> But I think the main problem may be getting our calling conventions
> right.  I mean, how would you do a PG_GETARG_BOOL() or stuff like that?
> Maybe if we offered PG_GETARG_DATUM and PG_RETURN_DATUM equivalents in
> PL/Perl we could offer I/O functions there.

Not sure what you're getting at, type input/output functions are no
different than other functions.

Historically I beleive the issue was that languages couldn't handle the
"cstring" type because it was special. As of recent releases that's not
a problem anymore (though pl/pgsql still doesn't understand it for
example).

Another issue was that there was a special hack to create type
input/output functions because of the chicken/egg issue of type
creation. With explicit shell types this is fixed also (in -HEAD).

AIUI, pl/java can do it. For the others I just don't think people have
really tried...

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment