Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mark@mark.mielke.cc
Subject Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys
Date
Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys  ("Jochem van Dieten" <jochemd@gmail.com>)
Re: [GENERAL] UUID's as primary keys  (Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 06:47:17PM +0200, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> It seems to me that maybe the backend should include a 16-byte fixed
> length object (after all, we've got 1, 2, 4 and 8 bytes already) and
> then people can use that to build whatever they like, using domains,
> for example...

Sooooo... Back to this.

It won't happen unless somebody does it - and I realize that people
are busy with their own projects, so unless somebody more willing and
better suited will step up, I'm going to take a stab at getting
advanced consensus.

Please answer the below questions, and state whether your opinion is
just an opinion, or whether you are stating it as a PostgreSQL
maintainer and it is law. If you wish, you can rank preferences.

1) The added 128-bit type should take the form of:
   a) UUID, with all functions   b) UUID, with only basic generation functions + encode/decode/indexable   c) UUID,
withonly encode/decode/indexable - generic except for the      name of the type, and the encoding format.   d) Generic
128-bittype - same as c) except may not encode or decode      as UUID (dashes). Either a large number (hex string?), or
binarydata.   e) Generic n-byte binary data type generator. Not sure of feasibility      of this at this point. See
thread.

2) According to your answer in 1), the added 128-bit type should be:
   a) In core first.   b) In contrib first.   c) In pgfoundry first.

Thanks,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/