Re: Transaction and table partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Transaction and table partitioning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jul 03, 2006 at 14:59:49 +0200, Dragan Zubac <zubacdragan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to use transactions with 'per sub table' locks? What I
> mean,if I partition a table and use transaction on that table with
> constraint,will the database lock the master table (and all subtables),or
> only sub table where the data is ?

Are you sure locking will be a problem? MVCC avoids a lot of typical
conflicts.
If you are doing something that is locking the tables in a way that causes
problems, I think you will need to be more specific about what you are
doing to get useful suggestions.