Re: hi i need to connect database from my system to another system - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: hi i need to connect database from my system to another system
Date
List pgsql-sql
> If u don't mind can u please tell me clearly.. where I have start -I or
> how to start postgresql with -I

> > I am using postgresql database server... in my system.. if I want to
> > connect to this database server from other system..Or how can I use
> this
> > database server  in other machine ..
> >
> > How can I do this..if any one have idea about this please give me
> brief
> > description
>
> You need to start the postgresql server with the "-i" option to allow
> TCP/IP connections.  Then
> you need to configure your pg_hba.conf file to set the permissions about
> which users can connect
> to which databases.
>
> Notice the pg_ctl section for starting postgresql.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/app-pg-ctl.html
>
> Notice the -o "options" section that can be set. (in this case you want
> -i)
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/app-postmaster.html
>
> Finally notice, the section on the pg_hba.conf file.
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/client-authentication.htm
> l#AUTH-PG-HBA-CONF
>
> Also, secure shell also works well when connecting from another system.

Don't forget to include the pgsql-sql list in your reply's. :-)  The individuals on this list have
varying degree of experience and knowledge of postgresql.  So if you only respond to me, you would
be limiting yourself to my meager experience and knowledge. ;-)

To start off with, it would be helpful to know which OS version of PostgreSQL you are using.  The
windows versions is pre-configured to start with the "-i" option for allowing TCP/IP connections.

Secondly,  how are you trying to connect to your postgresql server from another system?  What
error messages are you getting.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.