Re: different sort order in windows and linux version - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: different sort order in windows and linux version
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 07:29:12PM +0200, Tomi NA wrote:
> If I sound harsh, please excuse me, but I feel like I'm the only one
> who thinks these encoding problems (collation, upper/lowercase,
> multiple languages in a single database) are serious...nobody seems to
> share the sentiment. Ah well...

I agree with you, however the resistance (AFAICS) comes mostly from the
fact that we would be depending on an external library to do it. I
don't think postgres should try doing it itself, given that the unicode
character databases are quite large by themselves.

Alternativly, the postgres group could produce a customised version of
ICU that's smaller (the website has details about how). But any case,
this problem will need to be addressed at some point.

Have a nice day,
> From each according to his ability. To each according to his ability to litigate.

Attachment