Re: FWD: Update touches unrelated indexes? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: FWD: Update touches unrelated indexes?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Jozsef Szalay wrote:

> >he probably needs to think harder about whether every one of those
> >indexes is really carrying its weight.
>
> Unfortunately all of those indexes are required by the application. It
> appears that the only viable option I have is to drop the indexes and
> recreate them after the update.

Not at all -- the option is just continue to operate normally after the
update, because all the indexes are always updated.  If you see an index
not being updated, it's a bug and by all means report it, preferably
with a test case other people can reproduce.