Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Clamp last_anl_tuples to n_live_tuples, in case we vacuum a table - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Clamp last_anl_tuples to n_live_tuples, in case we vacuum a table
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> Clamp last_anl_tuples to n_live_tuples, in case we vacuum a table without
> analyzing, so that future analyze threshold calculations don't get confused.
> Also, make sure we correctly track the decrease of live tuples cause by
> deletes.

Now that the values of n_live_tuples and n_dead_tuples are correct,
maybe we should expose them in functions like n_tuples_inserted and all
the rest?  Probably n_live_tuples is not as useful (because you can get
a very similar, if not equal, value from pg_class.reltuples), but
n_dead_tuples seems worthwhile.  I'd also add them to pg_stat_all_tables.

On a loosely related matter, how about changing pg_class.relpages to
pg_class.reldensity?  The idea being that instead of storing the number
of pages, we store the average tuple density, which is what we use
relpages for anyway.