Re: Table clustering idea - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Table clustering idea
Date
Re: Table clustering idea  (Kim Bisgaard <kib+pg@dmi.dk>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 08:04:18PM -0400, Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Other DBMS have index organized tables that can use either hash or btree
> organizations, both of which have their uses.  We are planning to
> implement btree organized tables sometime - anyone else interested in
> this idea?

I'm curious how you'll do it, as I was once told that actually trying to
store heap data in a btree structure would be a non-starter (don't
remember why).

On a somewhat related note, I think that it would be advantageous if the
FSM had a means to prefer certain pages for a given tuple over other
pages. This would allow for a better way to keep heap and possibly index
data more compacted, and it would also be a means of keeping tables
loosely clustered. It would also make it far easier to shrink heaps that
have become bloated, because the FSM could be told to favor pages at the
beginning of the relation.