Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add STRICT to PL/pgSQL SELECT INTO, so exceptions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add STRICT to PL/pgSQL SELECT INTO, so exceptions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Plan B is to invent new errcodes to match the Oracle spellings.  If
> >> that's what we want to do, it's not that hard.
>
> > We could use:
> >     #define ERRCODE_DATA_EXCEPTION              MAKE_SQLSTATE('2','2',
> > or
> >     #define ERRCODE_ERROR_IN_ASSIGNMENT         MAKE_SQLSTATE('2','2',
>
> Those are both mighty generic (in fact DATA_EXCEPTION is a class code
> not a specific error).  If we want to stick to existing errcodes I think
> CARDINALITY_VIOLATION is the only reasonable choice.

If we go with that how does the caller check between not found and too
many?  And if we go with Oracle names, I need different codes to match
with the two Oracle names.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com