Re: Postgres fsync off (not needed) with NetApp - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From D'Arcy J.M. Cain
Subject Re: Postgres fsync off (not needed) with NetApp
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 14:48:04 -0700
Dan Gorman <dgorman@hi5.com> wrote:
> If I have a pg database attached to a powervault (PV) with just an
> off-the-shelf SCSI card I generally want fsync on to prevent data
> corruption in case the PV should loose power.
> However, if I have it attached to a NetApp that ensures data writes
> to via the NVRAM can I safely turn fsync off to gain additional
> performance?

I wouldn't.  Remember, you still have to get the data to the NetApp.
You don't want things sitting in the computer's buffers when it's power
goes down.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves