Re: timezones to own config file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: timezones to own config file
Date
Re: timezones to own config file  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: timezones to own config file  (Joachim Wieland <joe@mcknight.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 11:51:25AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
> > Any particular reason this can't be a normal table in pg_catalog which
> > you can select/update.
>
> That doesn't do anything to help with one of the main problems: that
> we have at least two (maybe more) alternative sets of names that people
> might want as default.

<snip>

I think my actual point was something else. We currently get calls from
people trying to administer machines that it's annoying that various
configuration information is stored in files, beyond the easy reach of
SQL.

What I was thinking is why we couldn't just store the information in a
global shared system table that is only read on config reload. You
could have a few columns, maybe the first being a list name, which is
referenced from a GUC.

If you issue a config reload during a VACUUM FULL, I guess that might
be an issue, yes. I was just thinking people might appreciate being
able to configure the timezones without opening a shell... Similarly,
it would also give a way for user-interfaces to get a list of available
valid timezones and their actual meanings, which is currently
impossible.

Just a thought really...