Re: COPY to table with array columns (Longish) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From
Subject Re: COPY to table with array columns (Longish)
Date
List pgsql-sql

+-----------+---------+---------+---------+---------+

+-----------+---------+---------+---------+---------+

> > So other than a variable-element array, the only
> > other way would be to
> > create a table with a column count equal to or
> > greater than the maximum
> > amount of values (call that value 'Y') that any
> sys
> > item holds then if a
> > particular record (eg, ZKCOST) has less values
> than
> > Y, fill the rest of the
> > columns with blanks (as above).
> >
> > That's what I've done at the moment, but only for
> 9
> > columns, so anything
> > over 9 fields will be truncated past and including
> > field 10:
> >     wbau=# \d sys
> >         Table "public.sys"
> >      Column | Type | Modifiers
> >     --------+------+-----------
> >      a0     | text | not null
> >      a1     | text |
> >      a2     | text |
> >      a3     | text |
> >      a4     | text |
> >      a5     | text |
> >      a6     | text |
> >      a7     | text |
> >      a8     | text |
> >      a9     | text |
> >         "id" PRIMARY KEY, btree (a0)
> >
> > a0 = primary key - eg, ZPRECMPL or ZKCOST

just read Aaron's latest post - it is best to do as he
suggested and link back to the sys table.

TABLE_SYS sys_id

TABLE_ZKCOST zkcost_id sys_id zkcost_value

TABLE_ZPRECMPL zprecmpl_id sys_id

TABLE_ZPRECMPL_DATA zprecmpl_data_id zprecmpl_id zprecmpl_value

the difference, and i'm not sure it is significant, is
that the above links the ZPRECMPL_DATA back to
ZPRECMPL, then it links ZPRECMPL back to SYS.

that's how my head wraps around this problem and i
think it should work alright as long as you can
massage the data into this format.