Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump
Date
Re: CSV mode option for pg_dump  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 10:20:53AM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Good point.  The number of CSV options would be hard to support for
> pg_dump.  Any thoughts from anyone on how to do that cleanly?  Could we
> just support the default behavior?

What this tells me is that we need a tool somewhere between psql and
pg_dump, say, pgquery. It's sole purpose in life is to generate output
from various queries. Because it's a seperate tool there's no question
of psql or pg_dump being able to parse them.

While you're at it, you could add modules to support many different
output styles, like CSV, XML, Excel format, HTML, etc.

This I beleive would take the load off psql to provide many different
output styles, as well as the load off pg_dump to produce
parsable-by-third-party output.

Thoughts?

Side note: In my experience Excel happily slurps up tab delimited
output, so I'm not sure why all of this is an issue in the first place.

Have a ncie day,