Re: Query to return modified results at runtime? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: Query to return modified results at runtime?
Date
List pgsql-sql
> ID    Color
> ---   -------
> 1     Blue
> 2     Red
> 3     Green
> 4     Orange
>
> How would I rewrite the query to return results where the colors are
> replaced by letters to give the following results?
>
> ID    Color
> 1     A
> 2     D
> 3     B
> 4     C

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/interactive/functions-conditional.html

this is probably the easiest to implement but hard to mangage over time.  Another solution would
be to create color_code table that is referenced by your test table.  Then when you can create a
query as: select a.ID, b.code from test as a join color_code as b on a.color = b.color;

There are additional solutions to this also. But these two are probably the easiest.