Re: Some queries starting to hang - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Some queries starting to hang
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 12:54:27PM -0500, Scott Marlowe wrote:

> > > I don't think that helps, as it just replaces one uncertainty by
> > > another: how far did the EXPLAIN really get towards completion of the
> > > plan?  You still don't have any hard data.
> >
> > But at least you have some data, which is better than no data.  Even knowing that the plan got stuck on a
particularnode of the query plan could be vital information.  For a query that never finishes, you can't even find out
whereit's getting stuck.

> > That's why Simon's proposal might help in some particularly difficult situations.
>
> Hmmmmm.  I wonder if it be hard to have explain analyze have a timeout
> per node qualifier?  Something that said if it takes more than x
> milliseconds for a node to kill the explain analyze and list the up to
> the nasty node that's using all the time up?
>
> That would be extremely useful.

Maybe, maybe not. It would be very easy for this to croak on the first
sort it hits. I suspect the original proposal of aborting once a
rowcount estimate proves to be way off is a better idea.

For the record, I also think being able to get a current snapshot is
great, too.