Re: Using Query Result in WHERE Clause - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Using Query Result in WHERE Clause
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 01:06:40PM -0700, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
> hi all,
>
> SUMMARY:
>
> i want to replace
>
> AND t_inspect.inspect_pass = 'f'
>
> with a complex query that yields the same result.  the
> complex query is in the form of...

[snip]

But your complex query isn't in the form where anything will come out
"= 'f'".  You have too many columns in the SELECT.

What you prabably need to do is rewrite it as a subquery in the FROM
clause, alias it as (say) alias_t_inspect, and then use your
condition to get you what you want.   I won't warrant what the
performance will be, however.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
If they don't do anything, we don't need their acronym.    --Josh Hamilton, on the US FEMA