Re: Allow commenting of variables in postgresql.conf to - try3 - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Joachim Wieland
Subject Re: Allow commenting of variables in postgresql.conf to - try3
Date
List pgsql-patches
Zdenek,

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 04:56:10PM +0200, Zdenek Kotala wrote:
> Thanks, You have right. It is problem with silent skip some option in
> set_config_option function when  PGC_SIGHUP is running context.

> I fix it and I attach third version of patch.

Still it does not what I think it should do. I might have been unclear
before. If you put a comment in front of a PGC_POSTMASTER variable (and if
its value differs from the default) then this should be treated as if the
variable got changed and it should emmit a warning "<varname> can only be
changed on server start" or similar. This warning should be kept for every
other SIGHUP that gets sent just like it is done already when you change the
value (but do not comment the variable).

I still have the problem that the first signal I send does not trigger any
message (i get the "SIGHUP received", but nothing about the variable
changes) but I haven't looked into it yet.

Joachim