Re: [GENERAL] autovacuum "connections" are hidden - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [GENERAL] autovacuum "connections" are hidden
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> Moving to -hackers

You forgot to actually do it apparently?

Sorry about posting the patch to -general, BTW.  Anyway it was committed
to the 8.1 branch, so it is included in the new release (8.1.4?)

> Does this still obey stats_command_string?

Yes.

I considered having the ps display show the info, but it's not as useful
because you can only get the info if you have access to the process list
(i.e. not a remote client).

> I think it'd be very handy to either have autovac always report what
> it's doing (ignoring stats_command_string), or to provide it with it's
> own option for it.
> I doubt this should pose a performance issue, since unless you have a
> whole lot of small tables autovac shouldn't be issuing commands very
> frequently.

Hmm.  While I understand your point, I wouldn't want to clutter
postgresql.conf with an option just for this though; seems to be very
unimportant.