Re: Synchronize Backup to another remote database - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: Synchronize Backup to another remote database
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 09:35:57AM +0800, kah_hang_ang@toray.com.my wrote:
> Currently we want to upgrade postgresql to 8.1.3 but our current postgresql
> database (v7.2.2) is use in the production line so we can't stop the
> current database.
> So is there any way to synchronize backup the current postgresql database
> to another remote postgresql database without interrupt our current
> postgresql database?

You could maybe, possibly, theoretically hack Slony to run against 7.2.
I know someone did this to get slony to run on 7.3. You'd want to use
an old version of Slony, which means you'd only be able to go from 7.2
to 7.4. But once you were on 7.4, you could use the most recent Slony to
go from 7.4 to 8.1.

Another possibility is using a command-based replicator, like pgmirror,
or what Continuent offers. But you need to understand the drawbacks of
such a method.