Re: why is bitmap index chosen for this query? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Steinar H. Gunderson
Subject Re: why is bitmap index chosen for this query?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Thu, May 18, 2006 at 09:41:23AM -0700, Stephen Byers wrote:
> Does the table perchance fit completely into memory, without
> effective_cache_size indicating that?
>
>   Don't know the exact way to answer your question, but my initial instinct is "no way."

What about the working set? Have you tried running the queries multiple times
in a row to see if the results change? It might be that your initial bitmap
scan puts all the relevant bits into cache, which will skew the results.

/* Steinar */
--
Homepage: http://www.sesse.net/