Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers - Mailing list pgsql-ports

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: solaris build problem with Sun compilers
Date
List pgsql-ports
Alan Stange wrote:
> > Uh, are you saying our Solaris Sparc "cas" ASM is only going to work for
> > Solaris 11 tools?  That doesn't sound good.  We must have people using
> > earlier Solaris tools.
>
> No, I'm not saying that at all.
>
> I think I'm saying that cas is OK for any reasonable Solaris+Sparc+Sun
> compiler combination.  It'll fail on any SuperSparc based hardware and
> older compilers (more than ~5 years), but that's too bad.

Well, when you look at the cost/benefit of using cas vs. ldstub, it
seems logical to keep ldstub for those older platforms.

> I'm also saying that cas in not OK for any gcc+binutils combination.  As
> far as I can tell, gcc is still building code for the v7 platform by
> default.  It's possible to override this, but I don't think it's
> something you can test for in the preprocessor.

OK, I added a comment that gcc generates sparcv7 binaries.

--
  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us