Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [OT] MySQL is bad, but THIS bad?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Woodward wrote:
> Sorry to interrupt, but I have had the "opportinuty" to have to work with
> MySQL. This nice little gem is packed away in the reference for
> mysql_use_result().
>
> "On the other hand, you shouldn't use mysql_use_result() if you are doing
> a lot of processing for each row on the client side, or if the output is
> sent to a screen on which the user may type a ^S (stop scroll). This ties
> up the server and prevent other threads from updating any tables from
> which the data is being fetched."
>
> How do busy web sites work like this?
>
> What is the best way to go about creating a "plug and play," PostgreSQL
> replacement for MySQL? I think the biggest problem getting PostgreSQL
> accepted is that so much code is available for MySQL.

That reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode where the guy had a
stopwatch that stopped time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Kind_of_a_Stopwatch_(The_Twilight_Zone)

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com