Re: [TODO] Allow commenting of variables ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [TODO] Allow commenting of variables ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Here is some work someone has done:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-03/msg00258.php

See the followup for feedback.  Seems it could be cleaned up.

Zdenek Kotala wrote:

> I would like to implement following item from TODO list:
>
> * Allow commenting of variables in postgresql.conf to restore them to
> defaults. Currently, if a variable is commented out, it keeps the
> previous uncommented value until a server restarted.
>
> Does anybody work on it?
>
> I performed some investigation and I found that signal handler
> (SIGHUP_handler) contents a big code and contents signal nonsafe
> functions. It should generate deadlock or damage some internal data
> structure in the standard c library. See
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/xsh_chap02_04.html for detail. By my opinion is necessary to
rewritesignal handling in postmaster to avoid postgres malfunction.

--  Bruce Momjian   http://candle.pha.pa.us EnterpriseDB    http://www.enterprisedb.com