Re: number of page slots needed exceeds max_fsm_pages - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: number of page slots needed exceeds max_fsm_pages
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, May 02, 2006 at 09:58:56AM -0400, David Brain wrote:
> I have a cron job that vacuums one of my dbs daily (Postgres 7.3.11)-
> using 'vacuumdb -a  -f -z -q -U postgres'.  Currently I get an email
> containing the folowing error messages:
>
> NOTICE:  number of page slots needed (38320) exceeds max_fsm_pages (20000)
> HINT:  Consider increasing the configuration parameter "max_fsm_pages"
> to a value over 38320.
> NOTICE:  number of page slots needed (40912) exceeds max_fsm_pages (20000)
>
> However if I run the command by hand it appears to complete without
> error, any thoughts as to why this might be? The max_fsm_pages has been
> set to 50000 in postgresql.conf.

Yes, it's not a fatal error, it just means vacuum is far less effective.
See also
http://www.pervasivepostgres.com/instantkb13/article.aspx?id=10087&query=vacuum

As for the setting, did you have PostgreSQL reload the config file?