Re: Why so slow? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alan Hodgson
Subject Re: Why so slow?
Date
List pgsql-performance
On April 28, 2006 10:31 am, "Bealach-na Bo" <bealach_na_bo@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> The exclusive lock is going to cause problems for me since the table is
> very active. Is there a way of getting around that or do I need to
> schedule the application that accesses this table?

If you don't need access to the old data constantly:

 - copy the live data to a new table
 - TRUNCATE the old table (which needs an exclusive lock but is very fast)
 - insert the data back in
 - for an event log I would imagine this could work

If you do need the old data while the app is running then I'm not sure what
you can do.

> I'm running version 8.0. Is there autovacuum for this version too?

There is an autovacuum daemon in contrib; it's more annoying to setup and
keep running than the one built into 8.1, but it works OK.

--
Eat right. Exercise regularly. Die anyway.