connection pooling with servlets - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From J.
Subject connection pooling with servlets
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
I am a novice, but thought it would make more sense to post this here.  I'm trying to write a basic webstore app for a school project and I'm having trouble getting more than one servlet to access the database connection.  I tried the method described on the PostgreSQL site - as I understood it.  That entailed opening a connection in one servlet and then having code like this in other servlets that need connections:

    Connection grabConnection(HttpSession userSession){
        ds = (Jdbc3PoolingDataSource) userSession.getAttribute("dSource");
        Connection con = null;

        try {
            con = ds.getConnection();
            // use connection
        } catch(SQLException e) {
            // log error
        } finally {
            if(con != null) {
                try {con.close();}catch(SQLException e) {}
            }
        }
        return con;
    }

The trouble is (I'm sure you see it already) that passing a dataSource object in a session doesn't seem to work.  If I don't have a dataSource, then I can't make a connection and if I try to create a new connection, I get the error that is something like "Connection with that name already exists".  Any help and I'd be gratefull.  Thanks.