Re: ANSI-strict pointer aliasing rules - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From mark@mark.mielke.cc
Subject Re: ANSI-strict pointer aliasing rules
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 02:42:35PM -0500, Taral wrote:
> On 27 Apr 2006 15:25:45 -0400, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> > It would be pretty cool to have a type-safe codebase. It just seems like
> > too an awful lot of work for a mostly aesthetic improvement.

> Does anyone have some benchmarks I can run? I can run tests to see if
> this aliasing makes a noticeable difference or not...

You would have to fix the code first. :-)

I completely back down when it comes down to the suspected
intrusiveness of the change, causing too much upset. It's the idea
that the aliasing rules are not worth following, that caused me to
enter. Until a good patch is available, that is less intrusive than
what people are suspecting, nothing is going to change.

I suspect a patch to convert PostgreSQL to C++ wouldn't be
welcomed. Haha...

Cheers,
mark

--
mark@mielke.cc / markm@ncf.ca / markm@nortel.com     __________________________
 One ring to rule them all, one ring to find them, one ring to bring them all                      and in the darkness
bindthem...

                          http://mark.mielke.cc/