Re: LinkedList - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: LinkedList
Date
List pgsql-sql
decibel=# select * from t;a | b
---+---1 | 03 | 15 | 37 | 52 | 04 | 26 | 48 | 6
(8 rows)

decibel=# select * from t x join t y on(x.a=y.b) where y.a=7;a | b | a | b
---+---+---+---5 | 3 | 7 | 5
(1 row)

decibel=# select * from t x join t y on(x.a=y.b) where y.a=8;a | b | a | b
(1 row)

decibel=#

As you can see, it selects the right data, but you'll need to step
through it somehow. You might be able to do it with a generate_series(),
or you can use a function. If we get WITH support/recursion in 8.2 you'd
use that.

I think that "SQL For Smarties" by Joe Celko might have an example of
how to do this without using a function. Even if it doesn't it's a book
any serious database developer should own.