Re: Moving a data base between differnt OS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: Moving a data base between differnt OS
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 21:33:32 +0200,
  Holger Zwingmann <holger.zwingmann@p3-solutions.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just realized that is is possible to do a (backup) copy of a database
> by copying the "root folder" within the same OS.

There are some other conditions as well. Postgres needs to be shut down when
you do the copy. The CPU needs to be the same architecture. Postgres should
be built with the same options (some data representations are controlled by
config options). Potentially different compilers (used to build Postgres on
the two systems) could cause problems as well (by changing structure layouts).