Trigger to force fields to lowercase at insert/update - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Leonardo Boiko
Subject Trigger to force fields to lowercase at insert/update
Date
Re: Trigger to force fields to lowercase at insert/update  (Bruno Wolff III <bruno@wolff.to>)
List pgsql-novice
Suppose I have a bunch of fields in different tables which I'd like to
always force to lowercase (since they represent case-insensitive data).
Suppose I want to do it at SQL level, not application level.  If the
user say "INSERT INTO foo VALUES ('Abc')", I want to really insert
'abc'.  Is there an elegant way of doing this? Some kind of trigger,
maybe? I have no experience with triggers or pl/sql, but I couldn't
come up with a solution general enough to be reused in multiple places.
Or is the premise a bad idea?

--
Leonardo Boiko
http://namakajiri.net