Re: FATAL: catalog is missing attributes - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jim C. Nasby
Subject Re: FATAL: catalog is missing attributes
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 08:43:26AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruno Cortes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was trying to make a dump from a database in postgresql 7.4.2-1. I was
> > enable to do so because of a cache lookup problem.
> > To solve it, I enter the database as superuser and execute VACUUM ALL.
> > This was even worse than the previous error. Right now I cannot enter
> > the database neither make a dump. When I execute a command such as "psql
> > -U postgres center-01" I get the error:
> > psql: FATAL:  catalog is missing 10 attribute(s) for relid 1262
>
> Sounds very much like you haven't been doing the required vacuum on all
> system catalogs.  Look for "transaction Xid wraparound" for possible
> suggestions.  For example look at
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-05/msg00079.php

Could this also be due to data corruption? From my limited understanding
of the relevant code in backend/utils/cache/relcache.c it seems this
error indicates that there's a mismatch between the number of columns
found in a tuple and what's supposed to be there according to the
catalog tables...