Re: Inactive memory Grows unlimited - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Inactive memory Grows unlimited
Date
List pgsql-performance
ALVARO ARCILA wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I hope you can help me...there's something wrong going on my db server (OS.
> GNU/linux White box)... here's the problem...
>
> The amount of Inactive memory Grows unlimited .... this happens only when
> Postgresql (8.1.1) is running... after a few days it "eats" all the RAM
> memory ... so I've have to restart the server to free RAM....

This is normal Unix behavior.  Leave it running for a few more days and
you'll that nothing wrong happens.  Why do you think you need "free"
memory?

Only if the swap memory start getting used a lot you need to worry about
memory consumption.

You should upgrade to 8.1.3 BTW.