Re: ask syntax sql to get length of field - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Bruno Wolff III
Subject Re: ask syntax sql to get length of field
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 00:37:08 -0700, Mariya Yuniarti <mariya_yuniarti@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Here Question :
>
> I have table A with structure :
>
>         Number         Character(20),
>        Description   Character(50)
>
> I want to get length of field Number (20)
>
> What is syntax sql to get length of field ?

Are you looking to get 20 or the length of a particular string in that column?
If you are looking for the maximum length (20), that should be available in
the catalogs. For the string length you can look in the string functions
section of the document. I am not sure whether or not trailing spaces are
counted in char columns. varchar makes more sense if you actually have
variable length strings.