Re: Meeting at the conference - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Meeting at the conference
Date
List pgsql-www
On Tuesday 18 April 2006 08:10, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > > - I'd like to have a *written* policy about the news and
> >
> > event items.
> >
> > > When someone wants to step up the plate with us, we should
> >
> > be able to
> >
> > > point that guy about our policies.
> >
> > Yup
>
> Per IM discussion, this of course means that Devrim just volounteered to
> write a proposal ;-)

You know, I might want to argue against the idea of having written policies.
We don't have written policies for any other part of this project (the whole
project I mean, not just www), but instead kind of feel our way through
things.  (Hmm.. suddenly I have the notion to stab my hand with a fork).
Well, I guess the only point is that I hate to get bogged down in rules and
regulations on things, so if we keep them in the spirit of general guidelines
that the web community can change or ignore at any time it might be ok.

> > > - I'd like to drink beer after the meeting.
> >
> > Definitely.
>
> Ok. That decides it, now I'm definitly coming to this talk.

So there will be no beer *at* the meeting?  Hmm...

> > > - I'd like to see the captcha for the comment (and possibly
> >
> > also for
> >
> > > news and event) submissions
> >
> > Well, that was implemented and demonstrated very recently by
> > Travis, based on Geviks work. There were accessibilty
> > problems which were discussed and iirc, it seems like more
> > hassle to implement an accessible captcha system than to just
> > delete the few spam comments we get each day.
>
> Might want to talk about what we can do about the spam submissions in
> general, perhaps, rather than focusing on just that.

Agreed.

> > > That's what I have in my mind now.
> >
> > Thanks - I'll compile an agenda based on this and any other
> > comments we get.
>
> Where did the bugtracker discussion go?! ;-)

I have a desire to do "bug capturing", which is a little different.  This
would be a good thing for the community at large to participate in wrt the
web team, but really the implementation details have never really been the
problem in this discussion.

> Do we want this to be specificallyi website, or "server systems in
> general". If it's servers in general, I propose adding something about
> settnig up a more common structure of how to maintain the machines -
> different machines are handled in different ways now in too many ways,
> imho.
>
> If just web, well. Perhaps something about enhancing the download
> system, and the future of the bittorrent stuff.

I have a todo list of a bunch of different things but no time to work on, I
guess if we need to fill up things I can break out with some of those items.
(An example?  What ever happened to setting up the doxygen stuff?)

--
Robert Treat