Re: Google SoC--Idea Request - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Google SoC--Idea Request
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Saturday 15 April 2006 19:25, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 4/15/06, Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> wrote:
> > Doing the latter is a precondition for implementing the former in a
> > reasonable way, I believe.
> >

> > BTW, these two web log entries summarizing Mono and Mozilla's
> > experiences with SoC might make interesting reading:
>
> Thanks for the reading material.  I don't think our project is exactly
> the same, but it's good information to keep in mind.

Agreed. I sent some ideas to Josh, was thinking he might be posting a list
soon. I kept it aimed at a few ideas I have had/seen that need an initial
push to get going but beyond that could be (and likely would be) community
maintained.  Example?  Extendning the build farm code to test external pl
langs or database drivers or patches other modules.  We've talked about it,
and if someone had the time to make the push, I believe this would be
community maintained going forward.

> > Given the above, I would be wary of such projects bit-rotting. If the
> > upstream project hasn't bothered to add PostgreSQL support, there might
> > be a good reason why: writing truly database-agnostic applications is
> > not always easy (or even desirable).
>
> This isn't always the case.  In a lot of cases, the developers just
> wanted to take the easy route and used MySQL... they have a lot of
> people asking for PostgreSQL support but they don't have the expertise
> to add it themselves.

I think more importantly is that the time needed to do an initial port is
often much greater than it is to maintain a port.

--
Robert Treat