Re: unattened dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: unattened dump
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, Apr 13, 2006 at 10:35:55AM +0200, Paolo Sala wrote:
> Hi all I am a newbe in postgres and I'm trying to obtain an unattended
> dump to pgsql. I mean, I've tryed to use pg_dump using the -U flag but I
> havn't found a way to pass a password in a unattended way. So I have to
> guess the only solution is to configure pg_hba.conf to use ident as
> authentication method?

Well, there's the .pgpass file. However, I usually find the best method is
to connect using unix domain sockets using ident (which isn't really
ident, it uses the OS to verify the user) from the database user
(postgres). Set this up in a cronjob and you're all set.

Have a ncie day,

Attachment