Re: concatenation with a null column (using ||) nulls the result? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: concatenation with a null column (using ||) nulls the result?
Date
List pgsql-sql
Neil Harkins wrote:

> Note: The cabinets_description for the "548-4th-Cab1" row is " ",
> not NULL, hence it being displayed. Is this standard SQL behavior?

Yes; something || NULL yields NULL.  If you want NULL to behave as ""
for the purpose of the concatenation, try

SELECT cabinets_name || ' - ' || COALESCE(cabinets_description, '') AS concat
FROM cabinets WHERE cabinets_datacenters = 2;

I'm assuming cabinets_name is NOT NULL, so it doesn't need COALESCE.