Re: creating user - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From kevin@kevinkempterllc.com
Subject Re: creating user
Date
List pgsql-admin
On Monday 10 April 2006 07:18, sandhya wrote:
> Hi...
>  I want to know more about alter user /creating users.I am facing error if
> i give user with Login/Nologin..Why is it so? But it is working fine for
> Createdb/NoCreatedb.etc.
>
> sample=# ALTER user sandhya with LOGIN;
> ERROR:  syntax error at or near "LOGIN" at character 25
> LINE 1: ALTER user sandhya with LOGIN;
>
> Please explain me about this/Suggest Some Manual where in i can find more
> about this.I have gone through postgres site.
>
> -Sandhya

My experience creating users has always been from the command line. Not sure
if this is what your asking about but just in case...

from the command line as postgres user (or another user with privelages to
create users):

Usage:
  createuser [OPTION]... [USERNAME]

  -a, --adduser             user can add new users
  -A, --no-adduser          user cannot add new users
  -d, --createdb            user can create new databases
  -D, --no-createdb         user cannot create databases
  -P, --pwprompt            assign a password to new user
  -E, --encrypted           encrypt stored password
  -N, --unencrypted         do not encrypt stored password
  -i, --sysid=SYSID         select sysid for new user
  -e, --echo                show the commands being sent to the server
  -q, --quiet               don't write any messages
  --help                    show this help, then exit
  --version                 output version information, then exit

Connection options:
  -h, --host=HOSTNAME       database server host or socket directory
  -p, --port=PORT           database server port
  -U, --username=USERNAME   user name to connect as (not the one to create)
  -W, --password            prompt for password to connect

If one of -a, -A, -d, -D, and USERNAME is not specified, you will
be prompted interactively.