Re: PGSTAT: bind(2): Can't assign requested address - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bjoern A. Zeeb
Subject Re: PGSTAT: bind(2): Can't assign requested address
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Bjoern A. Zeeb" <bzeeb-lists@lists.zabbadoz.net> writes:
>> A datagram socket (SOCK_DGRAM) is called "UDP Socket" when it
>> assumes IP (AF_INET) or IPv6 (AF_INET6) as it's underlying
>> protocol.
>> But you can always use SOCK_DGRAM over AF_LOCAL.
>
> I'm unconvinced that that has the same semantics on all platforms.
> Unix pipes traditionally have different behavior with respect to
> blocking, partial message send, etc.

Are you worried about posix local sockets in general? Or are you
worried about doing sock_dgram over posix local sockets?

just some more thoughts...

- libpq uses posix local sockets (even streaming) as default if
   available and no hostname is given. I'd be more worried about
   my data...

- posix local sockets have been around for ages and I'd rather
   rely on posix local sockets than any IPv6 protocol implementation.

- it's the same API on top of them

- it's posix these days

- it could be configurable/optional

--
Bjoern A. Zeeb                bzeeb at Zabbadoz dot NeT