Re: PostgreSQl newbie! -PLease help, pgAdmin3 on Debian! - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: PostgreSQl newbie! -PLease help, pgAdmin3 on Debian!
Date
List pgsql-admin
> How should I do this?  The current auto-generated pg_hba.conf file read as:
> "local all postgres    ident sameuser"
> on the first line, and the first line also after the # TYPE DATABASE....METHOD line.
>

> Do you mean I should change the "ident sameuser" at the end to "trust"?

Below is a snippet from:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/client-authentication.html#EXAMPLE-PG-HBA.CONF

Some examples of pg_hba.conf entries are shown in Example 19-1. See the next section for details
on the different authentication methods.

Example 19-1. Example pg_hba.conf entries

# Allow any user on the local system to connect to any database under
# any user name using Unix-domain sockets (the default for local
# connections).
#
# TYPE  DATABASE    USER        CIDR-ADDRESS          METHOD
local   all         postgres                          trust

The above line will allow you to connect from the command line of your postgresql server.  This
will get you started.  I can't remember what type of connect pgadmin uses.  It might be "TYPE"
host.   If it is you will need to add another line to the conf file for that type.  Also,  there
is another postgres conf (I can't remember which on off the top of my head) file that will need
the optional "-I" set to allow you to connect from remote IP addresses.  i.e. pgadmin.  If all
else fails, read the help docs; the beginning sections are newbie friendly.

> Should I login by this way from command line?

yes