Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Bloated pg_shdepend_depender_index
Date
List pgsql-admin
Am Freitag, 24. März 2006 05:48 schrieb Tom Lane:
> Well, the VACUUM FULL algorithm is incapable of shrinking indexes ---
> the only way is REINDEX, or something else that reconstructs indexes
> from scratch, such as CLUSTER.  One of the things we need to look into
> is putting more smarts into VACUUM so that it automatically does
> something reasonable when faced with extreme cases like these.

If the user is running VACUUM FULL, he has presumably determined that the
table is too bloated to be recovered in a graceful way, and quite likely the
indexes are going to be bloated similarly.  So seemingly one might as well
launch a reindexing on the table after VACUUM FULL has done its thing.
Whether that should be automatic is another question but perhaps the advice
should be documented somewhere?

--
Peter Eisentraut