Re: pgsql and streams - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Josh Rovero
Subject Re: pgsql and streams
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Condit wrote:

I'm new to Postgres and have a question about bulk loading from streams.
I know that I can bulk load from a file using COPY. Is it possible to
use a stream instead of a file? If so, and I limited to stdin? I'm
attempting to stream data from a remote database into my Postgres
instance. I don't want to insert each tuple individually using jdbc
since that would be horribly slow...
You can execute a pg_dump on the remote host (see -h or --host options
to pg_dump) and pipe it to a psql on the local host.  That should
replicate the remote database to your host over the network.

You can also use the "-h hostname" option on psql to exectue
a "copy to file" on the remote host.  The file ends up on your local
system, where you can do a subsequent copy from file.

Hope this helps,