Re: Storing sensitive data - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From
Subject Re: Storing sensitive data
Date
List pgsql-novice
> I have a table that stores usernames and passwords
> and I want to encrypt the
> passwords before they are stored in the database.
> Will postgresql do this
> for me, or do I have to do the encryption on the
> client side?  Could you
> please point me to some instructions on how to
> accomplish this.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> kevin

i found this tutorial to be very helpful...

http://phpsec.org/articles/2005/password-hashing.html

it uses php, but i'm sure you could translate into
whatever language you are using.

i also found this helpfule, too.

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/users-php-sessions-mysql

it uses mysql, but i easily applied to my favorite db
- postgresql.  not to mention adapting it to adodb and
my forms class.

between the two, you should get a decent user
management system.

good luck,

oe1