Re: Access as a front-end or another query builder - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From george young
Subject Re: Access as a front-end or another query builder
Date
List pgsql-odbc
Have you tried Excel, using MS-Query?  MS-Query comes on the standard
Windows install CD, you just have to install it.  It's nothing fancy,
but it works, and speed doesn't seem bad.  E.g. you can drag/drop a
field from one table to another to form a join.  Our clients want to
*use* the data in Excel anyway, so it's a win.

-- George Young

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:17:49 -0500
Ellen Cyran <ellen@urban.csuohio.edu> threw this fish to the penguins:

> I've tried the many suggestions about making Access as a front-end to
> postgreSQL faster, i.e. turned the ODBC trace off, set Declare/Fetch On,
> used the commlog, but it still is about 10 times slower than running the
> queries in pgadmin.  The Access pass-thru queries kind of defeat the
> purpose of having a query builder since there isn't any design view with
> them. Is there an FAQ on setting up Access as a front-end or just steps
> that are known to provide reasonable performance?
>
> Are there any good free query builders out there?
>
> Ellen

"Are the gods not just?"  "Oh no, child.
What would become of us if they were?" (CSL)