Breaking Path/Polygon Data into Pieces - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Volkan YAZICI
Subject Breaking Path/Polygon Data into Pieces
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

2 weeks ago, a user in -tr-genel asked for a function to break
path/polygon type data into pieces. He also told that, it creates a
bottleneck in the network traffic when they try to receive rows with
polygon data of thousands of nodes, while it's enough for them to
have polygons partially.

AFAIK, there doesn't exist such functions in PostgreSQL. (Please
correct me if I'm wrong.) For this purpose, I've coded two simple
C procedures:

  polygon part(polygon, offset, limit)
  path    part(path, offset, limit)

I thought it would be nice to see these functions in PostgreSQL and
wanted to ask for other users (and developers) ideas.

Regards.