Re: collation & UTF-8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: collation & UTF-8
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 24, 2006 at 06:23:07PM +0100, Tomi NA wrote:
> I'm using PosgreSQL 8.1.2 on linux and want to load UTF-8 encoded varchars.
> While I can store and get at stored text correctly, the ORDER BY places all
> accented characters (Croatian, in this case - probably marked hr_HR) after
> non-accented characters.
> This is no showstopper, but it does affect the general perception of
> application quality.

Collation is a function of the OS. Basically, is the locale of your
database setup for UTF-8 collation? It would probably be called
hr_HR.UTF-8.

> is there an official way to set up UTF8 collation so that "SELECT first_name
> FROM persons ORDER BY first_name" works as expected?

Yes, setup the locale correctly. In general, postgresql should give the
same results as sort(1) on the command-line. Use that to experiment.

LC_ALL=hr_HR.UTF-8 sort < input > output

Hope this helps,

Attachment