Re: ScanDirections - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From James William Pye
Subject Re: ScanDirections
Date
Re: ScanDirections  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
Re: ScanDirections  (Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com>)
List pgsql-patches
On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 09:04:09PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> James William Pye <pgsql@jwp.name> writes:
> > Small patch that makes ScanDirection a char(f|b|n) instead of a int or
> > long or whatever enum makes it.
>
> Why is this a good idea?

A more appropriately sized variable for the data that it will be holding?
Certainly not a stunning improvement considering that it's only three bytes.

> It strikes me as likely to break things, without really buying anything.

I tried to be careful and track everything down. However, I imagine I could
have easily missed something, so I understand that concern.

In any case, some parts of the patch merely makes some code make use of the
sdir.h macros instead of depending on -1/0/1--heapam in particular. At least
those portions should be applied, no?
--
Regards, James William Pye