Re: How do I use the backend APIs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Martijn van Oosterhout
Subject Re: How do I use the backend APIs
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 01:06:16AM -0800, Chad wrote:
> In a word: The kind of problems people use Berkeley DB for.
>
> People use BDB for more fine grained cursor access to BTrees. Stuff you
> CANNOT do with SQL. There is a market for this. See their website. I'd
> like something similar from Postgres so that the data would be stored
> in a full fledged RDBMS but I could use the cursor methods for
> searching more efficient than SQL. Best of both worlds.

Well, just the brief look at the docs doesn't immediatly reveal
anything that couldn't be done with straight SQL and server side
functions. It would be helpful if you could give an example of what you
actually want to do.

> I've had a quick browse around the Postgres code and found some
> functions like "_bt_first()" but no sample code to use it. BTW its for
> developing an alternative server based access to the underlying
> relational data.

Well, that function is several levels below where you need to be
looking. Using it directly will probably get you into a world of hurt.
BTW, what does "alternative server based access to the underlying
relational data" mean?

Have a nice day,

Attachment