Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Why does an ON SELECT rule have to be named "_RETURN"?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Monday 13 February 2006 01:49, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Ken Winter wrote:
> > have a harder row to hoe:  They have to figure out whether a view
> > really IS updatable - most presumably aren't, so if they provide
> > forms that offer to update views, most of the time these forms are
> > going to crash.
>
> First of all, it isn't all that hard to figure out whether a view is
> probably updatable (the presence of the respective rules would be a
> strong hint).  And second, if it's not, you get a fine error message
> and can move on.  So there is really no good reason for client tools to
> prevent you from using data entry forms on views.

One problem is the only way for a client tool to work generically in provding
data entry forms would be to provide entry for all columns, which would break
in all but the most trivial of cases.  Last time we discussed this for
phppgadmin, the general opinion was it wasn't worth trying to work around
postgresql core's deficiency. Once the core postgresql server supports
updatable views in proper, I'd imagine this would get done.

--
Robert Treat